An RSA-supported project.
You Make It inspires young, unemployed people to take part in new creative and entrepreneurial development opportunities. It launched this year with a pilot called Ladies Who L-EARN.
Ladies Who L-EARN responds to these concerns:
• Youth unemployment in Tower Hamlets is higher than in any other London borough. Many of these are women.
• Women in the UK are less than half as likely as men to set up their own business/ become self-employed.
• Barriers for those from disadvantaged backgrounds to access creative and cultural networks and experiences.
• Lack of opportunities for young people to develop creative business and entrepreneurial know-how.
The project involves:
• 21 young women meeting at the Rich Mix for 3 months to take part in workshops that grow their confidence, networks and understanding of creative businesses and entrepreneurialism. For the majority, this project has brought them in to the Rich Mix for the first time.
• 1-1 mentoring for each young woman both during and after the project’s run.
• Young women setting up and running a market stall selling designer-maker products they have learned about and sourced through Cockpit Arts. Pitches are in Spitalfields and Broadway Market, spaces rarely if ever accessed by those in the group.
A diversity of workshop leaders, guest speakers and mentors include those recruited through the RSA and Clore networks.
So much of the project has only been made possible because of in-kind support and resources, but we urgently need cash funding to:
• Cover travel expenses of 6 additional young women on the project.
• Produce Ladies Who L-EARN banners for the market stalls.
• Help produce a documentary for further fundraising to replicate the model nationally and internationally
Thanks to Roberta Amuso, who has made two pledges to help Ladies who L-Earn get closer to their target.
If you'd like to join Roberta in being listed on this page, please make a donation by ordering a reward from the menu to the right, then drop us an email at email@example.com and we'd be happy to add your name to this page!
The rewards offered to funders of Ladies who L-Earn were:-
A listing on the You make it website- £10.00
Your name tagged on the market stall banners- £20.00
A credit at the end of the documentary about the L-EARN project- £30.00
All three rewards at once- credits in the market stall, documentary and website- £50.00